Head of Finance
Objective of the position:
- To ensure provision of a high quality financial accounting service that supports
- effective and efficient management of the hospital financial resources, within statutory
- and regulatory guidelines.
- To work within the finance team supporting accurate and timely processing of financial transactions and processes, and internal/external reporting requirements
- Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supporting the Head of Finance in ensuring the integrity, accuracy, and timeliness of all financial records, ensuring all income and liabilities are accurately recorded, reconciled and reviewed.
- Managing the general ledger including overseeing the monthly balance sheet, banking and subsidiary ledger reconciliations.
- Determine accounting errors due to wrong postings of income or otherwise and discrepancies and suggest necessary corrective action.
- Maintain accurate accounting income records for future references.
- Help other department in financial analysis and accounting tasks.
- Assist in accounts receivables by ensuring that all funds received including direct credits are receipted and well accounted for.
- Respond to accounting related questions and inquiries from employees, patients and suppliers.
- Ensure financial records comply with hospital policies and accounting principles.
- Perform month end closing activities such as account reconciliation, revenue accounting, debtor’s management, etc.
- Assisting in the preparation of year end statutory accounts
- Assisting with the budgeting and forecasting for the departmental budget and the consolidated hospital budget.
- Supervise the billing team and coordinate their monthly rotation arrangement.
- Review the daily cash reconciliation done by the billing team and the bank agent to ensure accuracy and completeness and that all cash received was banked intact.
- Proactively identify new initiatives mitigate loss of revenue and benefits to the hospital.
- Ensure that all grant income is properly receipted and posted in the grant liability account.
- Ensure that walk in debtor invoices are individually posted in tally and properly reconciled.
- Supervise the Finance staff maintaining petty cash and checking the petty cash ledger for accuracy and completeness.
- Keep track of expenses and incomes related to grants and prepare monthly grant reporting reports for the Miracle feet grant, VVF Fistula Foundation, and any other grant assigned.
- Review posted JVs carefully for anomalies and other inconsistencies
- Define monthly Billing team performance indicators and annual appraisals for review.
- Support the Preparation and implementation of periodic cash flow projections.
- Supervise all Cash Receipts and Mobile money payment platform.
- Ensure that Cash Receipts and Payments Journals are written up daily and balanced.
- Ensure that Daily/Monthly Reconciliations are done for Cash at Hand, at Bank, Debtors, Creditors, and other subsidiary accounts.
- Support the Credit Officer in Following- up of debtors and ensure that all debtor accounts are accurately reconciled.
- Facilitate the work of the Auditors.
- Facilitates periodical stock taking
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration/Commerce (Accounting option)
- ACCA/CPA qualification.
- Knowledge of the Standards for the Professional Practice of Auditing and accounting.
- Member of the professional accounting body CPAU or ACCA or Level III of CPA (U)
- Training in Grants management
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience in financial accounting and audit practices.
- Thorough knowledge of MS Excel and other financial related databases such as Tally.
- The position demands precision, commitment, honesty, transparency, integrity and confidentiality
- Capacity to concentrate on the task at hand and able to enter and analyse data and at and report in a timely manner.
- Excellent writing, communication, presentation and social skills.
- Experience in working in the NGO/Not-for-Profit sector.
- Good understanding of disability.