(CBID) Social Work Team Leader
Overall Job Purpose: To promote delivery of efficient and Social Services that enhances quality of life for persons with disabilities and particularly children through Rehabilitation, Disability Awareness, Social Inclusion, Child Safeguarding and Provision of Social Support services to Patients and Caregivers.
He/she should be fluent in Langi-Luo language so as to ensure better interpretation and communication of services to the patients that receive rehabilitation and social interventions, provide mentorship to Social Work Volunteers, Care givers and engages into rural community mobilization work.
This position is supported by placement of employees under the Fistula Foundation Project and CORSU Hospital. The obstetric fistula repair care services were started in 2015, as camp based strategy to mobilize and repair every 3-4 months. The number of cases being treated gradually increased and thus the need for a Social Worker. A dedicated fistula surgeon (trained through FIGO supported program) is working full time. The principle of Fistula Foundation is to encourage and support its partners to develop a sustainable quality care program, 24-hour open service on routine bases.
Detailed Roles and responsibilities
Outreach Programme & coordination
- Identification, Assessment and Referral of women with Fistula conditions
- Offer pre and post counselling to both women with Fistula Disabilities
- Sensitize women, community leaders, schools, health centres and other stake holders on the causes, prevention and management of Fistula Disability
- Collaborate with other actors to enhance referrals and networking
- Organize review meetings with women suffering from fistula and Community Volunteers at District level
- Fully acquainted with Safeguarding practices especially with children and adult at risk
- Support the orientation of new staff in Safeguarding
- Sensitize Patients and Caregivers on Safeguarding
- Disseminate child and adult at risk safeguarding materials
- Identity child safeguarding issues and discuss with the Safeguarding Focal Person.
Social Work Services
- Carry out Patient Social Assessments and plan appropriate interventions.
- Providing Counselling services and coping strategies to CWDs, Parents and Caregivers while at the Hospital.
- Support Vulnerable patients (Children and Adults) to benefit from the CoRSU subsidy scheme.
- Coordinate with CoRSU partners’ organisations for booking and referral of patients.
- Provide Patients and caregivers with appropriate information about Hospital services, systems and payments.
- Referral of Patients in need of Psychotherapy while at the Hospital
- Submit monthly reports and Statistics to Head of Department on a monthly basis
- Coordinate and participate in the information, education and communication (IEC) training sessions for clients, attendants and caregivers.
- Facilitate the process of assigning attendant prefects and liaises with them and the nurses.
- Participate in resolving disputes between attendants in liaison with other hostel staff.
- Participate in ward rounds where Appropriate.
- Conduct discharge sessions for patients and care givers.
- Participate in developing a payment plan for patients in liaison with the Head of Finance and waiver committee.
- Conducting Patient satisfaction surveys.
- Conducting monthly meetings with patients and Caregivers Admitted at CoRSU to generate feedback on services at the Hospital.
- Coordinate all activities with the social work team, the customer care officer and the clinical psychologist.
- Participate to recreational activities for children with the therapy team
- Any other assignments as given by the supervisor.
Academic/Professional qualifications, work experience, knowledge & skills
- University Degree in Disability studies, Community Based Rehabilitation, Social work/Social Science, and Community Development Studies or its equivalent. Recognised training in Community Rehabilitation, Advocacy, leadership and mobilisation skills is added advantage.
- Good computer skills (MS Word, Excel and Power point)
- 3years Experience in Disability, Community Based Rehabilitation and Community development work.
- Experience in Disability management, Advocacy work, Community Based Rehabilitation work and familiar with the rehabilitation in Uganda.
Excellent communication, presentation social, reporting and Training Skills. Knowledge of English, Langi-Luo language among others
Qualified persons should submit their applications (detailed CV with cover letter plus copies of Academic Qualifications) to The Head of Human Resources and Organisational Development, P.O. 46 Kisubi or email to email@example.com. Note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified for interviews.
NB: Capable People with Disabilities (PWDs) are encouraged to apply.