Head of Nursing
Overall Job Purpose
The post holder shall ensure that the entire theatre team is kept in order (by working closely with the Head of Orthopaedics, Head of PRS and Head of Anaesthesia); and that he/she is accountable for the Theatre activities including:
- Promoting and monitoring safe and effective nursing care practices in the operating Theatre.
- Promoting safe surgery and good patient outcomes.
- Enhancing the patient nursing care experience.
- Providing effective team leadership and management to the entire Theatre team.
- Contributing to the delivery of the organization’s objectives and goals through effective and efficient management of the Operating Theatres
- Providing mentorship and guidance to the in Theatre team
- Closely working with the Head of Nursing, the Medical Director/Deputy CEO and other In-charges to provide quality health service delivery.
- Performing tasks of minute secretary to the Theatre Management Team.
- Holding accountable, all team members for their actions; setting of targets and ensuring that these targets are achieved.
Specifically, the Key Performance Objectives (KPOs) are:
- Safe and effective nursing practices promoted and monitored
- Evidence-based practice promoted
- Safe and clean environment maintained
- Work done in a multi-professional
- Patient nursing care experience enhanced
- Patient focused care
- The patient journey coordinated well
- Patient involvement in care services and satisfaction ensured
- Effective leadership and management provided to the theatre team
- Evidence-based patient focused care role modelling ensured
- Team performance promoted
- Work environment at the unit well managed
- Theatre resources used effectively
- Minute taking and document filing for the Theatre Management Committee maintained
- Contribution made to the delivery of the organization’s objectives
- Patient focus with emphasis on CWDs enhanced
- Capacity of Theatre staff built through training and professional nursing care
- Contribution made to improve overall institutional frameworks and systems
Qualification, Skills & Experience:
- Diploma in Nursing where an additional certificate in Basic Life Support and/or infection control are essential.
- A management qualification such as Diploma in team leadership and/or health systems management is added advantage.
- A BSN qualification is desirable and a certificate of good standing from the previous employer an added advantage.
- One must be registered with the Uganda Nurses and Midwives Council (UNMC).
- A 5 years’ post qualification experience of which with 3 years are in Operation Theatre management in a reputable health facility is key.
- Ability to exercise assertiveness and good communication skills with prior experience in leading a team.
- Over 8years experience working in a hospital setting.
- Knowledge of at least 3 local languages
- Able to promote and protect the interests and dignity of patients/clients.
- Able to exercise personal maturity and respect of the colleagues and the nursing profession.