Head of Orthopaedics
Overall Job Purpose: To provide a high standard of care (diagnosis & management) to patients with all musculoskeletal conditions presenting to the hospital. To assist the Head of the orthopaedic department in developing the orthopaedic services. Involvement in teaching and training all staff and visiting residents or medical students.
Key Result Areas
- Accurate assessments and high standard management (surgery plans) provided and run efficiently for a busy orthopaedic clinic.
- Excellent Orthopaedic services (trauma management and care) provided in a wide range for the Paediatric and Adult clinics.
- Pre-assessment clinics, patient follow up and ward rounds carried out.
- Limb reconstruction surgeries/operations performed and team support provided as per agreed/set target.
- Medical students’ trainings and CMEs organized and performed
- Work as a consultant on target based arrangement
Detailed Roles and responsibilities
- Work in a team (as part-time consultant where possible) to ensure proper patient management
- Clerk patients to gather information on their medical history and allergies
- Diagnose patient’s medical conditions using the necessary investigative tools
- Perform orthopaedic surgical procedures depending on his/her skill in the related field perform ward rounds.
- Prescribe medications and supplements in managing the various disease conditions.
- Work hand in hand with the Physiotherapy team and Orthopedic Workshop rehabilitation team
- Provide guidance into consultations by Medical Officers, Interns and Trainees in regard to surgeries at hand.
- Delegate tasks as well as coordinate the activities of Nurses, Theatre Assistants and other medical staff.
- Work closely with Theatre In-charge to:
- Monitor inventory level of Theatre supplies to facilitate stock replacement as maybe required.
- Ensure surgical instruments, equipment, (including c-arms, arthroscopy towers, drills, among others) and operating rooms are sterile and ready for medical procedures.
- Contribute to the department’s own Audit programme
- Maintain accurate records of the patient’s profile and treatment process on both the files and file maker operating system
- Guide and supervise the activities of medical students and surgical residents.
- Make timely decisions to refer patients to the appropriate health workers both within or outside the hospital and directing a surgical or medical emergency.
- Carry out research to develop and improve on existing operating procedures and surgical techniques and publish works done at the hospital
- Be aware and comply with, CoRSU infection prevention and control policies, including hand/personal hygiene, environmental and food hygiene
Academic/Professional qualifications, work experience, knowledge & skills
- MBCHB or equivalent
- MMED ORTHOPAEDICS or equivalent (fellowship)
- Registered with the Uganda Medical and Dental Practitioner’s Council (UMDPC) 3 years’ post qualification experience in Orthopaedic Surgery with a bias to paediatrics.
- Good communication skills.
Good computer knowledge and skills